Can the function of just one small group of chemicals really determine whether you are happy or sad? Does marijuana help to improve your memory in old age? Is it really best to drink coffee if you want to wake up and be alert? Why is a drug like PCP potentially lethal? Why does drinking alcohol make you drowsy? Do cigarettes help to relieve anxiety? What should you consume if you are having trouble staying in your chair and focusing enough to get your work done? Why do treatments for the common cold make us drowsy? Can eating less food preserve your brain? What are the possible side effects of pills that claim to make your smarter? Why is it so hard to stop smoking? Why did witches once believe that they could fly?
This is a premier text and reference for students and professionals in the medical instrumentation area. It provides a comprehensive overview of the basic concepts of medical instrumentation showing the interdisciplinary nature of Bioinstrumentation. This book enlists information on infant apnea monitors, impedance pneumography, the design of cardiac pacemakers and disposable defibrillator electrodes and their standards.
• This book has been written from the perspective of medical people in simple language with very little mathematical formulas and examples.
• A great boon to medical students both undergraduates and postgraduates who want to be self- significant in statistical analysis. It is a book that every medical person and medical college library must possess.
• This edition has been thoroughly revised and updated. In this context the chapter “Computer Application in Biostatistical Analysis: An SPSS Manual” has been added.
• Use of computers for which special chapter has been added in brief has greatly facilitated the analysis of the work done in medical field and biosciences too.
Fully revised for its second edition, the Oxford Handbook of Mental Health Nursing is the indispensable resource for all those caring for patients with mental health problems. Practical, concise, and up-to-date with the latest guidelines, practice, and initiatives, this handbook is designed to allow essential information to be quickly accessible to nurses in a busy clinical setting.
The new, 5th Edition of Endocrine Secrets, by Michael McDermott, MD, continues the tradition of the highly popular Secrets Series. A two-color page layout, question-and-answer approach, and chapter containing the "Top 100 Secrets" offer a quick and current overview of essential knowledge in endocrinology. Updates throughout equip you with cutting-edge coverage, while new contributors present the latest perspectives. A wealth of user-friendly featuresincluding valuable pearls, tips, and memory aidshelp you to learn more efficiently. It all adds up to the perfect concise board review or handy clinical resource.
This new edition of one of the most popular books in otolaryngology is now completely updated and expanded. In 89 chapters, the authors cover every virtually every ENT disorder in the clear and engaging "textbook in question and answer" format of The Secrets Series? Ideal for rounds, clinical discussions, examinations, and a great refresher for practitioners.
It is a textbook, written in a compact manner. for the undergraduate and postgraduate students, giving the details of the latest information in the field of ENT diseases. Innumerable visuals, an added attraction of the book, would help the students in learning the subject with its clinical and other aspectS. The book would also be useful for the practitioners.
Introducing the first four volumes in McGraw-Hill's exciting new Clinical Medicine Series. Their unrelenting emphasis on the patient makes the Clinical Medicine Sereis a valuable addition for anyone in the primary care setting, the hospital, or the ambulatory care setting. Their affordable price, easy-to-read design, and internationally-renowned authorship gives the Series a unique place in the literature.
This concise textbook is ideal for any student or health care professional who needs an authoritative, readable, affordable text that is sharply focused on clinical psychiatry. It contains the most relevant clinical material from the best-selling Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry, Tenth Edition and includes updated information on recently introduced psychiatric drugs. The book is DSM-IV-TR compatible and replete with case studies and tables, including DSM-IV-TR tables.
The book is organized right from the basic chapters, i.e. Introduction, structure and physiology of teeth to the management of carious and noncarious lesions by esthetic restorations to precise metallic restorations with a latest trend of minimal intervention dentistry and conscious efforts to practice maximum conservation as per today’s need of the patients.
1. Introduction to Operative Dentistry
2. Tooth Nomenclature
3. Structure of Teeth
4. Physiology of Tooth Form
5. Dental Caries
6. Cutting Instruments
7. Principles of Tooth Preparation
8. Patient Evaluation, Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
9. Patient and Operator Position
10. Isolation of the Operating Field
11. Infection Control
12. Pain Control
13. Matricing and Tooth Separation
14. Pulp Protection
15. Interim Restorations
16. Bonding to Enamel and Dentin
17. Composite Restorations
18. Tooth Preparation for Composite Restorations
19. Esthetics and Operative Dentistry
20. Amalgam Restorations
21. Pin Retained Restorations
22. Direct Filling Gold
23. Cast Metal Restorations
24. Glass Ionomer Cement
25. Dental Ceramics
26. Tooth Hypersensitivity
27. Management of Discolored Teeth
28. Minimally Intervention Dentistry
29. Cervical Lesions
30. Selection of Restorative Materials
31. Evidence-based Dentistry
32. Nanodentistry and its Applications
* Diagnostic Facilities: A Clinician?s Perspectives
* Interpretation of Automated Cell Parameters
* Bone Marrow Aspiration and Bone Marrow Biopsy: Procedures and Methodologies
* Investigations for Hemolytic Anemia
* Investigations for Nutritional Anemias
* Investigations of Bleeding Disorders
* Investigations of Thrombophilia
* Lab Monitoring of Anticoagulants
* Investigations in Leukemia
* Flow Cytometry in Acute Leukemia: Practical Aspects
* The Practical Aspects of Cytogenetics in Hematological Malignancies
* Investigating Plasma Cell Dyscrasias
* Molecular Techniques in Hematology
* Blood Banking
* Quality Control
* Basic Equipments: Use and Maintenance